Contractors working in and around New York City are held to specific safety standards that must be met before a job begins. Because of this, contractors must obtain specific site safety training cards for all workers prior to beginning any job sites. These cards not only verify that workers have completed the required safety training, but they also serve as proof of eligibility to work at these sites. Keep reading for more information about NYC site safety training cards and how you can obtain your own for your contracting business.
What Is a NYC Site Safety Training Card?
A site safety card is specific to the city, state, and job site where it has been issued. This card verifies that a contractor, or his employees, have completed the required safety training for the location where they’ll be working.
Why is a Site Safety Card Important?
First and foremost, it allows the contractor and his team to work at the job site. Every state has specific requirements for contractors and workers, and site safety cards are the only way to ensure compliance. In New York, site safety cards are mandated as part of the city’s Department of Buildings’ NYC Site Safety Training Program. This program also verifies that the contractor has workers’ compensation coverage, workers’ compensation insurance, and general liability insurance.
The card is also used as proof of compliance with the city’s Lead Law, which regulates lead paint in residential and commercial buildings. If a contractor is working in a building built before 1978, he must have workers certified in Lead Hazard Reduction.
How to Obtain a Site Safety Card in NYC
Similar to other states, contractors and their employees must complete the state’s prescribed safety training program before a safety card can be issued. For New York, this is the NYC Site Safety Training Program.
This course must be completed by anyone who will be working in a commercial or residential building on a job site in the five boroughs. Participants must also pass a written exam to obtain their card.
The Importance of Having Your Own Card During a Job
If contractors do not have a card of their own, they cannot legally work at a job site. They also cannot issue a NYC site safety card to their employees. Instead, they must hire workers who already have a state-issued safety card.
As a result, contractors must pay hiring fees to these workers. Contractors can save money, and time, by taking the required courses and obtaining their own safety card. This saves them the hassle of recruiting qualified contractors for each job and fees associated with hiring workers with cards.
Checklist of Essential Equipment for Working in NYC
– Hard hats: Hard hats are required in all residential and commercial job sites in New York. Contractors and their employees should have the proper type of hard hats for the job site they’re working in.
– Respiratory Protection: If respirators are needed at the job site, workers should have their own. Contractors cannot share their respirators with employees.
– Personal Protective Equipment (PPE): Contractors and employees should have their own PPE gear when working in New York. PPE includes gloves, safety glasses, and protective clothing.
– Warning Signage: Contractors must have warning signage on their vehicles and equipment when parked on the street. This signage lets passersby know of any hazards that may exist around the vehicle. It’s important to note that this signage is not an indication that the job is dangerous.
– First Aid Kit: You never know when someone will get hurt on the job. That’s why a first aid kit is an essential piece of equipment for any job site.
– Fall Protection: Residential and commercial job sites in New York must have fall protection equipment in place. Contractors should have their own fall protection gear when working at a job site.
– Ladder Safety: Contractors should never use a ladder as a substitute for fall protection. It’s always important to use ladders safely and in compliance with OSHA regulations.
– Wheel Barrows: Contractors often use wheel barrows to move materials. Wheel barrow handles are notorious for causing injury if not used properly.
Final Words: Know the Rules Before Committing to a Job
The easiest way to ensure that you know the rules and regulations in New York is to take a contractor safety course. This gives you a better understanding of the standards and requirements of the job site.
In addition, you can work closely with your mentor to identify any potential hazards on the job site. By taking the proper safety course, you can earn your contractor safety card and become a certified contractor in New York. This card allows you to work at the job site, and issues your workers cards as well.