Allentown, PA, is a very pet-friendly city with plenty of activities and amenities for you and your furry friends. Numerous parks and trails in the area are perfect for walking and exploring with your pets, as well as pet-friendly restaurants and cafes where you can grab a bite. For more structured activities, several pet-related events and classes are held in Allentown throughout the year, such as obedience training and pet adoption fairs.
There are several options if you need to find vets in Allentown. The Lehigh Valley Health Network and the Center for Animal Referral and Emergency Services are both highly respected animal hospitals in the area. Many smaller, privately-owned practices can provide medical care for your pets. No matter your needs, you can be sure to find a qualified and compassionate veterinarian in Allentown to help keep your pets happy and healthy.
Pet-Friendly Places to Stay
The first step in pet travel is to choose a pet-friendly hotel. Some hotels also allow other animals, such as ferrets or birds. There are several pet-friendly places to stay in Allentown, Pennsylvania. Here are a few options:
- Residence Inn Allentown Bethlehem/Lehigh Valley Airport – This hotel allows pets and offers pet-friendly amenities such as a pet bed, food and water bowls, and waste bags.
- Comfort Suites Allentown – This hotel allows pets and offers pet-friendly amenities such as a designated pet walking area and waste bags.
- Holiday Inn Express & Suites Allentown Airport – This hotel allows pets and offers pet-friendly amenities such as a designated pet walking area and waste bags.
- Red Roof Inn Allentown Airport – This hotel allows pets and offers pet-friendly amenities such as a designated pet walking area and waste bags.
If available, some tourist sites also include lodging listings for pet-friendly inns, hotels, bed & breakfasts, cabanas, cottages, and other housing options. It’s a good idea to call ahead and confirm the pet policy and any associated fees before booking a stay at any of these hotels.
The town offers multiple tourist spots and activities. However, not all of them are friendly enough for our pets. Let’s check some of them where you can enjoy the company of your pet:
- Trexler Nature Preserve – It is a 1,108-acre county park in Pennsylvania’s Lehigh Valley owned and maintained by Lehigh County. Tourists can ride a bike or a horse, hike, cross-county ski, fish in Jordan Creek, or enjoy the magnificent natural view. Pets are also welcome to enjoy the natural breeze as long as they are on a leash.
- Visit Lehigh Canal Park – A little forested park next to the Lehigh River is called Lehigh Canal Park. It serves as the Weissport Trailhead for the D&L Trail, which offers fantastic views of the historic structures and old canal locks. Pets are also allowed on the trails and towpath.
- Enjoy the town’s Dog Parks – Many dog parks are available around town. Some dog parks offer a pond, fountain, and picnic areas. Some dog parks allow pets to be off-leashed; however, it is still the responsibility of the pet owners to watch over their furry friends. But if there is one similarity between these dog parks, it is that all are big enough for your pet to have a space to play around.
There are more options for activities:
- Go for a walk or run at Cedar Creek Park, which has several trails that are pet friendly.
- Check out the Allentown Rose Garden, where pets are welcome on leash.
- Take a trip to the Lehigh Valley Zoo, which is pet friendly and has a designated area for pets.
- Take a stroll through the Allentown Farmers Market, which is pet friendly.
Always follow local leash laws and pick up after your pet while enjoying these activities.